NANCY Y. VAN LAEKEN MD, FRCSC
As your cosmetic surgeon, it is my goal to help you achieve the look you want – one that is attractive, natural looking and makes you feel good about yourself.
I spend time with each of my patients, to consult with them about their options and assist them in making the right choices for their cosmetic surgery.
Sincerely, Nancy Van Laeken, M.D.
Dr. Van Laeken is a certified plastic surgeon by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. Her professional affiliations include, The Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons, The Canadian Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery as well as the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. She obtained her M.D. from the University of Ottawa over 25 years ago and went on to complete her Plastic Surgery training at the University of British Columbia. Dr. Van Laeken has also completed advanced training in Reconstructive Microsurgery at the University of Toronto.
Dr. Van Laeken is currently a Clinical Professor in the Division of Plastic Surgery at the University of British Columbia. Dr. Van Laeken is an active member at many lower mainland hospitals including St. Paul’s Hospital, Mount St. Joseph Hospital, Lions Gate Hospital, Vancouver Acute and BC Children’s Hospital. She was the Chair of the Department of Surgery for Providence Health Care in Vancouver from 1991-2011. Her primary role was to provide leadership, direction and development to all clinical, research and academic activities within the Department of Surgery. She was also responsible for motivating and developing the faculty as well as overseeing the clinical education of students. In addition, she was the Associate Head for the Department of Surgery at UBC from 2007-2011. She also served as the Physician Program Director for Providence Health Care from 2005-2011. Dr. Van Laeken was awarded one of Canada’s top ten doctors in Hospital News January 2000 and was nominated 2 years in a row as one of YWCA’s Women of Distinction.
Dr. Van Laeken specializes in breast reconstruction surgery after mastectomy and reconstructive microsurgery, specifically facial nerve reconstruction following trauma, tumor removal and congenital deformities.
Dr. Van Laeken performs her private cosmetic procedures at various local private facilities in Vancouver including Cambie Surgery Centre, ASC Surgical Centre and False Creek Surgical Centre. All of these facilities are fully accredited by the Canadian and American Association for Ambulatory Surgical Facilities and provide quality care based on the fundamental values of practice as set out in the guidelines of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia. A skilled anesthesiologist, ensuring optimum safety and quality care, oversees all surgical procedures.
Dr. Van Laeken is a volunteer with IPRAS’ Women for Women charity programme which is supported by female plastic surgeons who travel abroad to help women suffering from disfiguring or socially excluding injuries and trauma. Dr. Van Laeken has travelled to India (2011, 2012, 2013, 2015), Bangladesh (2014) and Africa (2016) performing surgeries with the goal of enabling such women to continue on to lead happy and prosperous lives despite their injuries and trauma they have suffered in the past.
- Clinical Professor, Division of Plastic Surgery, UBC
- Active Member Dept. of Surgery: St. Paul’s Hospital, Mount St. Joseph Hospital, Lions Gate Hospital, Vancouver Acute, BC Children’s Hospital
- Physician Program Director, Surgery, Providence Health Care 2005-2011
- Associate Head, Department of Surgery UBC 2007-2011
- Chair, Department of Surgery, Providence Health Care 2001-2011
- Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons (CSPS)
- Canadian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (CSAPS)
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
- International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS)
- Doctors of BC (formerly BC Medical Association)
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- International Plastic Reconstructive Aesthetic Surgery (IPRAS)
- Women for Women
- Vancouver Medical Association – Primus Inter Pares Award (Equal Among Equal) 2007
- YWCA Women of Distinction Awards – Nominee 2006
- YWCA Women of Distinction Awards – Nominee 2005
- Hospital Magazine “Canada’s Best Doctors” 2000
- Honorary Mention – Master Teaching in Surgery Award, UBC, 1996
- CMUS Excellence in Teaching Award for Medicine Year IV, UBC, February 1995
- Honorary Mention – Master Teaching in Surgery Award, UBC, 1995
- Master Teacher & Surgery Award, UBC, June 1992
- Master Teacher & Surgery Award, UBC, June 1990
- VGH Research Day – Best Clinical Paper, May 1988